ADSM-L

Re: User quotas, large capacity devices, etc.

1996-07-17 15:58:23
Subject: Re: User quotas, large capacity devices, etc.
From: Andrew Justin Caird <acaird AT ENGIN.UMICH DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:58:23 -0400
>>> On Wed, 17 Jul 1996 18:05:21 +0200 (MET DST), Helmut
>>> Richter <Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de> wrote:

HR> Andrew,

>> 2. Are there any plans for ADSM to support VHS tape
>> libraries?  The word from the support folks is that it
>> doesn't currently, but it seems like this would be a
>> logical type for storage device for a product like ADSM
>> to support.

HR> We have (hopefully not too much longer) a Metrum VHS
HR> robot. When we purchased ADSM, we asked IBM to provide a
HR> solution for it, if only to convince our finance people
HR> that there is an investment protection possible.
HR> Meanwhile, nobody has real interest any more.

That's too bad.  So you never heard anything from IBM?

HR> My question is: why would you think this would be
HR> reasonable? DLT on the lower and Magstar on the upper
HR> end seem to be better solutions for what used to be the
HR> VHS domain.

Cost / Tb.  Although I don't know exact costs on any of this
(and any input would be valued), I have the feeling that VHS
costs less that Magstar.  We are interested in high volume /
low cost.

HR> Your questions 1 and 4 would be highly interesting for
HR> us as well. I hope that somebody will answer.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
--andrew
Andrew Caird <acaird AT umich DOT edu> PGP encrypted mail encouraged
Andrew Caird <acaird AT umich DOT edu> PGP encrypted mail encouraged
     University of Michigan Center for Parallel Computing
(313)936-1985          http://www.engin.umich.edu/center/cpc/