ADSM-L

Solaris server stops working

1996-07-17 08:24:51
Subject: Solaris server stops working
From: Bradley King <king AT MONTROUGE.GM.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:24:51 +0200
I have a very confusing problem. (at least for me)  I have been running
a Solaris 1.2.0 adsm server for about a month now.   I wanted to add a device,
which I think I did successfully. At some point on the same day the server
stopped communicating with anyone. I killed and restarted it to no avail
I rebooted the server to no avail. Since I have a respawn in the inittab
for the server and several schedule clients I rebooted the Sun after changing
the inittab. I then launched the dsmserv by hand it says:

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for Sun Solaris
[1] 403
# Version 1, Release 2, Level 0.0/1.0

Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

5765-303 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 1994. All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 16:24:47 on Mar 14 1995.
ANR7801I Subsystem process ID is 403.
ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
ANR0990I ADSM server restart-recovery in progress.
ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 28 megabytes.
ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 224 megabytes.
ANR0306I Recovery log volume mount in progress.
ANR0353I Recovery log analysis pass in progress.
ANR0354I Recovery log redo pass in progress.
ANR0355I Recovery log undo pass in progress.
ANR0362W Database usage exceeds 92 % of its assigned capacity.

then it just sits there w/o using cpu or allowing any connections. There
are no errors in the log file, none on the screen. Is there anything that
can be done? Since the server gives no indication of errors and there
is no way to communicate with it I don't know what to do next.

They typical resonse to an attempt to connect is as follows:
>dsmdsmc
ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.3
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1996, All Rights Reserved.

Enter your user id:  admin
ANS5658E TCP/IP failure.
ANS5519E Unable to establish session with server.

ANS5103I Highest return code was -50.