ADSM-L

Netware 4.1 compression

1996-07-11 17:47:00
Subject: Netware 4.1 compression
From: "Craig, Ronnie" <RCRA467 AT CSD.CPA.STATE.TX DOT US>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 15:47:00 CST
We are MVS server  Version 2 release 1, Level 0.7. We have a number of
Novell servers running 4.1. We ran into this problem with Novell compression
and backups with ADSM. Every time a file is compressed by Novell 4.1 it
changes the file attribute's. ADSM keys off of these file attributes to
determine if incremental backup is needed or not. So in short every time a
file is uncompressed for read the next compression cycle will make the file
show up as compressed and invoke backup by ADSM. After doing some checking
on file backups we noticed alot of read only files being backed up by ADSM.
Which is taking up space in the data base and the storage pools.  We talked
to IBM about this problem and they informed us that Novell would need to
provide more detailed information from the NWSM_SCAN_INFORMATION so that
ADSM would be able to tell what attributes had changed. With that
information ADSM would then be able to tell that compression is the only
change, and ignore the file during incremental backup. My question to the
list. Does anyone know if NOVELL is working on this and does anyone know if
they have been informed of this. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Ronnie Craig
State of Texas Comptroller
Austin, Texas  78774
E-Mail  Ronnie.Craig AT cpa.state.tx DOT us