ADSM-L

Re: multi-user unix systems, and the PUDM

1996-07-10 10:10:32
Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems, and the PUDM
From: Wendy Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:10:32 EDT
Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE> asked:
>I added the entry "passwordaccess generate" to the dsm.sys file
>but the users are still prompted for the node password. Or do
>I have to delete the node first and register it again after
>defining the option?

Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de> replied:
>You need to store the password locally. This is done automatically, if
>you open an ADSM session as root-user.

and Matthias Feyerabend <M.Feyerabend AT GSI DOT DE> added:
>You have to take care of NODENAME option.
>It has different meanings depending wether it is placed
>in DSM.SYS or DSM.OPT:
>
>Nodename with DSM.SYS replaces hostname and works with
>passwordaccess generate.
>
>Nodename with DSM.OPT is something different
>and is probably what you are doing.

passwordaccess generate is what we do. (Wendy, read *all* your mail
before answering.)

We've had trouble with one AIX system removing the file the password
is stored in. I don't remember the name of the file; Reinhard, do you
know it offhand? We don't know why the system removes the file. The
system administrator now keeps a copy of that password file in another
place so she can restore it quickly when the system trashes it.

This sort of information is exactly what we People's Underground
Documentation Movement members should be collecting and distributing,
once we've figured it out ourselves.

Wendy Alberg                      Phone:  607/255-2672
Network & Computer Systems        Fax:    607/255-6523
Cornell Information Technologies  E-mail: wa10 AT cornell DOT edu
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY    WWW:    http://dwrgi.cit.cornell.edu/