ADSM-L

Re: "Migrating" from ADSM V1 to V2 Questions.

1996-07-03 13:13:02
Subject: Re: "Migrating" from ADSM V1 to V2 Questions.
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 10:13:02 PDT
Mickey Bennett asks:

>I have installed ADSM V2R1M0 on our (MVS) system.  Since our V1 ADSM had never
>actually been used for "production" purposes, I am not too concerned about
>"data loss" during conversion.
>
>Q1:  It sounds appropriate to have have the "VOLUMEHISTORY" and "DEVCONFIG" as
>suggested in the "Read This First!" doc, but where in the manuals am I to
>find allocation instructions for them?  (I have found no reference in
>any manual of what data set characteristics to use.)
>
>Q2: Other than the one time "/UPGRADEDB" EXEC parm, are there any
>considerations (and other than the new options mentioned in "Q1" above) for
>the intial execution of ADSM V2R1M0 with existing V1 database and log files.

A1: If you have SMS, and the data set names you assign to the devconfig and
    volume history files are managed by SMS, then they will be dynamically
    allocated for you. Otherwise you can pre-allocate them with the following
    attributes:

       LRECL=1028
       RECFM=VB
       BLKSIZE=6144
       PRIMARY TRACKS=20
       SECONDARY TRACKS=20

    There is a DOC APAR, PN83718 that describes the need to have this
    documented.

A2: The only other thing to worry about before converting your database from
    V1 to V2 is run a DUMP DB DEV=devclass from the ADSM admin command line
    just before bringing the V1 server down for the last time. This will
    provide you with a consistent dump of the database in the unlikely event
    you need to back off from V2.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130