ADSM-L

Re: Solaris X86 client

1996-07-02 15:46:59
Subject: Re: Solaris X86 client
From: "Steven P. Roder" <TKSSTEVE AT UBVM.CC.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:46:59 EDT
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:07:53 -0500 Mark A. Stevens said:
>> Is there a client for Solaris X86, the version of Solaris that runs on
>> Intel based PC's?  If not, are there plans for one?
>
>I would think that when a version supports Solaris 2.5 is available it
>should work on any Solaris hardware platform, since Sun split the
>kernel into two parts, hardware dependent and hardware independent.

One would hope, but it does not work.  It get the error:

"/opt/IBMDSMbas/solaris/dsm: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected"

when executing dsm or dsmc.  So, how 'bout it IBM...any plans to support
Solaris/X86?  We are currently evaluating Sun Solstice Backup vs. ADSM vs.
EMC2 Epoch.  I haven't checked Sun, but both ADSM and Epoch do not support
Solaris/X86.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,