ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/2 Server Problems

1996-07-02 15:26:38
Subject: Re: ADSM/2 Server Problems
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 12:26:38 PDT
Jeff Mathers asks:

>I seem to be having a problem with tape mounts. Even though the
>correct tape is in the drive, the server does not think it's been
>mounted. I have an exabyte 8-mm manual drive. I typed the following
>command from the console:
>
>audit volume DSEQ1
>
>The server responds OK and says it will wait for the mount. The tape
>is in the drive, but the server wont start the audit. I tried
>mounting the tape several times. The lights on the drive indicate
>that the drive is ready for duty.

Hi again, Jeff,

I don't know your environment, so please excuse me if I'm already stating
the obvious:

Is this 8mm manual drive one that you use normally? In other words, does it
work just find for backup and restores? Or is this a different drive that
you're using for the audit?

You'll need to have a manual library defined, and a devclass for the drive
with a DEVTYPE of 8MM. You'll also have do do a DEFINE DRIVE command with the
correct DEVICE name, i.e. DEVICE=TAPE05$ (the output from ADSMSDI should show
you the TAPEnn$ name).

Also, are you pre-mounting the tape before issuing the AUDIT command? If so,
have you tried ejecting the tape, issuing the command, waiting for the mount
request, then inserting the tape?

Sorry I don't have much else to offer on this... devices aren't my strong
suit. I guess I can kiss that beer goodbye...   ;-)

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130