ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT Client freezing up

1996-07-01 18:43:04
Subject: Re: Windows NT Client freezing up
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:43:04 PDT
Barb Lundberg asks:

>I am having trouble with a windows NT client. A session is established-data
>starts to be backed up, but after apprx. 5-7 minutes the client hangs - the pc
>freezes and has to be rebooted.  The options file for this client looks like:

Hi Barb!

A few things to try:
   - Try increasing your ADSM server's COMMTIMEOUT parameter. I don't know what
     kind of server you're backing up to, but if you're going to a mainframe,
     60 seconds can be a little low. Try something like 300.
   - Try reducing the size of the TCP/IP packets you send across the network.
     Edit the Windows NT Registry (regedt32.exe) and add an item to:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
           \SYSTEM
              \CurrentControlSet
                 \Services
                    \<adaptername>   <== from ipconfig.out
                       \Parameters
     The item that goes in this thing is:
        MaximumPacketSize
     It is a REG_DWORD. Specify a value of x'200' (decimal 512). Watch
     out, this whole Registry stuff is case sensitive. You can find the
     <adaptername> by running 'ipconfig /all' from a DOS prompt. The
     output from this should have a line that looks like
     "Token Ring adapter <adaptername>" where <adaptername> is the
     T/R adapter you're using for TCP/IP communications. Depending on
     your network, the default parameter size (it might be 4K) may be
     too large. By the way, you need to reboot after making this change.
   - Just for laughs, try reducing TCPBUFFSIZE and TCPWINDOWSIZE to 1 and 1,
     respectively. If this does the trick, you may want to consider increasing
     them until you find the highest settings that don't cause the hang.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130