ADSM-L

Version 2 install

1996-06-28 17:33:15
Subject: Version 2 install
From: Jane Dagostino-Snyder <j-dago AT CAFE.TC.UMN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:33:15 -0600
Hi,
Thanks to those who asked my pervious question on this same subject.
I am using MVS as my server:
The read me doc states you can install a separate Version 2 server and
test before installing it over your Version 1 database.  I am considering
that option.   Has anyone else done this first or did most install over your
Version 1 database right away?  This is my First install so these may be
basic questions.

Now say that a separate Version 2 was installed on a test LPAR.  Not
where the Version1 is and new pools were defined,  can you define
new pools there or not??  I still need the old ones of course.  Then once
you test Version 2, install Version 2 over Version 1.  Is this what they
are referring to or what is the recommendation?

This is what I am thinking of:

Version 2, new install on CPUD receive/ apply/accept with new pools,
logs, DB.    Set up test enviroment...

Next:  Install Version 2 over Version 1:  Do not install or run jobs to define
new pools, ect.   upgradedb, I have read page 51 in install book.

Usually when installs that place, we use different volumes, CPU's
TCPIP's ect before going live.   Can this not be done this way?  Looks like
since Version 1 is in production that you are basically overlaying Version
1 on a production system.

Comments, Ideas,  ALL welcome, well, maybe not all?  Be kind !!

Thanks, Jane

Jane Dagostino-Snyder
University of Minnesota
Storage Administration