ADSM-L

Re: Multiple MVS servers?

1996-06-27 16:46:57
Subject: Re: Multiple MVS servers?
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:46:57 -0400
Julie,
        From our experience, the processor speed has been the biggest
bottleneck.  When things get really busy, we find TCPIP is running at
about 35-40% CPU while ADSM is at close to 100% - this is on a 3090-500J
(21 MIPS per engine) so I think a faster processor will do better.
Right now we're running flat out with ADSM at night and, many mornings
when I come in there are 5-10 incremental backups still running.  As
background info, we have about 120 clients, mostly Netware, NT, and Unix
servers, and back up about 22-25 GB per night.  The database is about 8
GB (mirrored), the recovery log is 3 GB (mirrored) and ADSM is keeping
track of about 900 GB of data in the various storage pools.  The
database and recovery logs are isolated on their own disk volumes - I
suspect we might be running into bottlenexks with the database also but
haven't had the time to pursue this.  In fact, we are running 2 ADSM
servers on our MVS/ESA system - one is a 'miniature' (if you can call a
4.5 GB database miniature :-)  exclusively used for offsite backups.
The one thing to keep in mind when creating multiple ADSM servers is
that it is a CPU hog so only split it up if you can afford the CPU
cycles.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com