ADSM-L

Backup of Common Software Packages

1996-06-27 13:39:46
Subject: Backup of Common Software Packages
From: Abi Admassu <Abi.Admassu AT UCOP DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:39:46 -0700
We are backing up several PCs, some UNIX servers, MACs, Novell servers to an
MVS ADSM 2.1 server.  We now have over 100 PCs (will be many more) running
Windows 3.1, MSWord, Excel,  etc. and few Win95.  So far we have been
backing up these PCs without excluding these software packages.  Now we
would like to exclude them from backup. The main reason for backing them up
in the first place was for a faster disaster recovery incase of hard disk
crashes. How are others handling backing up common software packages and
operating systems?  Can Win95 be excluded from backup as easily as Windows
3.1? Is creating a separate disk storage pool just for these helpful?
Thanks for any input.

Abi