ADSM-L

Re[3]: Renaming data bases

1996-06-26 11:25:00
Subject: Re[3]: Renaming data bases
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 11:25:00 -0400
Text item: Body.822
I described this procedure at a SHARE session last March.  The handouts are
available
at index.storsys.ibm.com in file /adsm/info/s863074.zip.

A brief summary of the procedure I used is -

1.  define and format the new volumes.
2.  use the reduce db command to do the maximum reduction.
3.  define the new db volumes;  do NOT do an extend.
4.  delete the old volumes one at a time.  ADSM will start a process to
move the pages to the new volumes.  If your volumes are mirrored, the
delete of the 1st of the pair does not start a process.

I used this process to move an 8G database to new dasd in 2 hours.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.