ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Full Server/Drive Restores

1996-06-25 16:42:07
Subject: Re: ADSM Full Server/Drive Restores
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:42:07 -0400
Bill,
        Even with collocation enabled, the 'active' client data does tend to
get spread across many tapes.  How many depends on the amount of client
data and number of versions kept.  However, what is more troublesome is
when a user needs their entire directory/file structure restored.  In
one instance, on one of our larger Netware 3.1x servers, this required
about 45 tape mounts and took hours to complete, even though there was
only about 60 MB of data being restored.
        One method of avoiding this problem, outside of using very new tape
technology (i.e. 3590's emulating 3490's on MVS),  is to perform
periodic full backups but this a little kludgy to automate via the ADSM
scheduler.  I had posted a suggestion to the ADSM-R server requesting an
option or switch within reclamation that would allow you to collocate
the 'active' client data onto a subset of that client's tapes when
reclamation occurred.  Granted, this would not be something you'd want
to do very often due to the overhead involved but it would be a nice
option to have in instances such as you described.  This suggestion did
not meet with much enthusiasm.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com