ADSM-L

Re: Renaming data bases

1996-06-25 15:15:29
Subject: Re: Renaming data bases
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:15:29 PDT
Rick Tsujimoto asks:

>     Does anyone know a painless way to rename the ADSM data bases on MVS?
>     For example, I have ADSM.V1R1M0.DB1 and would like to call it
>     ADSM.DB1.  I'm at V1 planning on going to V2, but I can't seem to find
>     anything on this subject.

***** Kids! Don't try this at home! *****

There is no facility available for renaming the databases. You can not, for
example, use IDCAMS ALTER to rename database, recover log, or storage pool
volumes. These volumes contain self-describing records, and other records
in the database also point to these names. If you try to rename the database
volumes, your ADSM server will not start.

The only safe way to do this is to add new database volumes with the desired
data set name (use DEF DBV) then delete the old database volumes (use DEL DBV).
Of course you have to allocate and format the new volumes, first.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130