ADSM-L

Re: query filespace

1996-06-24 14:48:00
Subject: Re: query filespace
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 11:48:00 MST
Dean,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I have learned that there
are actually two problems that cause Query Filespace to display
incorrect values for large filespaces, and my comments only addressed
one of these.

1. The first problem (and the one I was addressing above) is that the
   server does not correctly display capacity values for filespaces
   greater than or equal to 4GB.  This problem was identified while
   testing the API.  It was found that even when the API sent correct
   filespaces sizes to the server, the Query Filespace command displayed
   incorrect values for capacity and % utilization as described in the
   my previous post.
2. A second problem is that ADSM clients do not correctly send large
   filespace sizes to the server, so the server stores an incorrect
   value.  This problem affects filespaces greater than 2 GB.

Problem 1 with the server has been fixed.  Once the PTF with this
fix is applied, customers using the API should see correct values
for Query Filespace, provided that the API application sends correct
values to the server.

Problem 2 involves the client and a fix has not yet been completed.
Customers using the ADSM client will not see correct values for
filespaces larger than 2 GB until they apply fixes for both the client
and server.  I have been told that Client Development will post an
APAR number within the next few days, so that customers can track
the client problem.

I apologize for the confusion over this.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Server Development
------------------------------- Referenced Note ---------------------------
I hate to argue but your clarification is incorrect!
I hate to argue but your clarification is incorrect!

        My server (AIX 2.1.7) will displays any filespace over 2GB
as having a capacity of 2048 MB. This happens on all filespace regardless
of size.
        For example I have a 2.7 GB filespace that ADSM tells me is 2048 MB.
This is well under the 4 GB limit you mention...

> >One thing to be careful of with the query filespace command:
> >
> >        it only handles filespaces which are smaller than 2 GB!
> >

> >All file spaces which are over 2 GB in size are reported as 2GB capacity
> >I have this problem on our Auspex Client which has serveral filespaces
> >which are over 2GB. Everything backs up ok, but the "q fi" numbers are
> >not even close.
> >
> >I'm running the 2.1.7 server on AIX box - I am not sure if this happens
> >on all servers.
>
> Clarification of this problem:
>
> To the best of my knowledge, this problem occurs only for filespaces
> whose capacity is greater than or equal to 4 GB.  For these filespaces,
> Query Filespace displays capacity values that are 4 GB smaller
> than the actual value.  For example, if the actual filespace size is
> 4,300,498,944 bytes, Query Filespace would display a value of
> 5.3 MB (4,300,498,944 - 4,294,967,296). Values for % utilization
> will also be incorrect for such filespaces.
>
> This problem existed on all server platforms and releases and has been
> fixed for all servers.  As with any fix, the availability will vary
> by platform and release.
>
> Dave Cannon
> ADSM Server Development

  Dean Roy                           Email: DEAN AT UWINDSOR DOT CA
  Systems Programmer                 Voice: (519)253-4232 Ext 2763
  University of Windsor              Fax  : (519)973-7083