ADSM-L

Peter Carranti asks:

1996-06-21 11:35:53
Subject: Peter Carranti asks:
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 08:35:53 PDT
>We have a requirement on one of our AIX machines to backup specific
>filesystems/files on the 21st day of each month and keep each month's backup
>for 1 year.  I believe I can set up a management class to do this, but how do
>I handle the include/exclude file to assure these files are backed up only on
>the 21st of the month and not backed up by the daily incremental backups that
>handle the rest of the file on this machine.

I am sure there are several options, but the simplest one to me is this:

This sounds more like a job for archive than backup, since what you want is
basically a point-in-time snapshot of a set of files that you will want to
retain for an extended period of time. So set up a management class with an
archive copygroup that has a retention of 365 days (or 400 if you want to
add a little "fudge" factor). Then define a schedule to run on the day you
want with ACTION=ARCHIVE and put -ARCHMC=name in the options field, and the
name(s) of the filesystem(s) you want to archive in the objects field. The
only thing here is that our scheduler doesn't let you define a schedule to
"run on the nth day of every month", so the scheduling will have to be on a
month-by-month basis, or you can just define several schedules up front, with
STARTDATE=06/21/1996 for one, 07/21/1996 for another, etc.

If you don't care to have incremental backups of these files, then you can
put them in your exclude/include list.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support