ADSM-L

Need info to complete 5220 Ethernet config

1996-06-18 13:44:21
Subject: Need info to complete 5220 Ethernet config
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT ACS.BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:44:21 -0400
I'm missing some documentation on completing the configuration of a 5220
Ethernet card in a 3494 tape library industrial computer (ValueLine PS/2) and
wonder if someone can help...

The "System Summary" display at the 3494 operator station shows:
         LAN attach ports: Not installed.
and so the "LAN options" Commands menu selection is grayed out.

    I ran LANCHECK in the Service Window to determine how far the installation
got and needs to go.  It says that basic hardware and addressing work has been
done, but: "HOSTINIT has not been run.  See section 10.5 of the Library
Manager Installation Instructions ("Install 3494 Host Device Driver
Features")".  I never saw any such instructions provided with any of the 3494
hardware installation material.

    The stapled LAN adapter installation sheaf ("Installation Instructions -
5220 Ethernet LAN Attachment", Doc. 05H4083) alleges in its section 4.3 that
it has with it three Appendixes, with Appendix A being a repro of the Install
instructions referenced by LANCHECK; but there was some lapse in quality
control such that in reality the needed appendixes are not being sent with
this document.

    So I'm stuck without info to complete the LAN configuration.  If anyone
has information on running the documentationless HOSTINIT process, could you
please email directly to me?

           thanks, Richard Sims, Boston University OIT