ADSM-L

OS/2 Server questions

1996-06-17 16:30:29
Subject: OS/2 Server questions
From: David Bohm <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 13:30:29 MST
Hello Jeff:

1 - The simplest way to recreate the information in the epfis.ini file
    is to reinstall the ADSM server and client.  If you need to reinstall
    the server you will have to install the base level code followed by the
    first PTF then the latest PTF.

2 - The client and server should both work but I do recommend the latest
    levels.  For the client this means V2R1 level 0.3 and for the server
    this is V1R2 level 0.9.  I am currently running these levels on an
    OS/2 warp connect.  I think (someone please correct me if I am wrong)
    that the Warpserver is basically Warp connect with Version 5 of the
    Lan Server product installed.  I know of at least one of our OS/2
    client developers that is currently running with Version 5 of
    lan server.

3 - If you do decide to upgrage I recommend doing it after installing
    Warpserver because it is one method to rebuild the entries in the
    epfis.ini file.

As an additional note there are third party .ini editors available.  I
do not know why one was not included with OS/2 other than trying to
protect you from yourself.  I hate it too when computer vendors try to
protect me from myself.

My recommendation would be to save the epfis.ini on diskette just in
case it does get destroyed during the upgrade of OS/2.  This .ini is
not used by just ADSM, it belongs to the software installer product that
ADSM uses for its installation.  The only problem I am aware of from
the ADSM perspective with this file being destroyed is you will not be
able to install maintenance to the ADSM OS/2 server without this file.
You will have to reinstall the base level then the first PTF then the
PTF you are attempting to install.  With the later levels of the ADSM
server we help by placing a copy of this file in the directory that the
ADSM server is installed in.  This allows you to just copy this .ini
file to the c:/os2/system directory so we can detect that the server
was installed, where it was installed and allow you to install the
PTF.  This problem does not occur with the ADSM client.  The client is
a complete replacement of everything so a new PTF is not dependent on
some base level being installed like the server is.

Hope this helps - David Bohm, ADSM technical support.