ADSM-L

required NT privileges

1996-06-14 11:14:10
Subject: required NT privileges
From: "Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development" <pt AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:14:10 EDT
The Accessed Denied errors are caused because of insufficient user
privileges to backup/restore NTFS security information.

Every NTFS file/directory contains a set of four security descriptors:

   - Owner and Group Security Identifier (SID)

     Identifies what user and primary group owns the file.

     Requires Backup/Restore user right if the file/dir is being
     accessed by a user other than the owner.

  -  Discretionary Access Control List

     File/directory permissions (what user are are allowed/not allowed
     to access the object and what access is allowed)

     Same user rights required as Group and Owner SID's.

  -  System Access Control List

     Auditing information.

     Requires Security Name privilege (Manage Security and Auditing Log
     User Right), regardless of who owns the object.

  I think restoring the registry requires Backup/Restore privilege
  as well.

  The predefined Backup Operators group posses the Backup and Restore
  user rights, but not the Manage Security Log one, so members of this
  group will NOT be able to access NTFS files with ADSM.

  The only predefined group which posses this privilege is Administrator
  and Domain Administrator.

  Of course this user right can be added to any user or group.

  I could have designed the client to bypass restoring/backing up security
  information as some other NT backup products do, but I chose not to do
  this because I felt that it would somewhat subvert the NT security model.

  The client used to only run on Admin/Domain Admin/System accounts, but
  I removed this restriction because it is possible to access FAT files/dirs
  without any special privileges.

  Hope this answers your questions ....

  Pete Tanenhaus
  ADSM Development

JIm,
JIm,
        Not sure if ADSM supports this or not but did you try adding one of the
users to the BACKUP OPERATOR's group on their local machine ???

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com