ADSM-L

Re: Front-end for ADSM/MVS

1996-06-12 13:04:00
Subject: Re: Front-end for ADSM/MVS
From: "Jon C. Austin" <TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:04:00 EDT
Bob,

   We actually run our MVS system for TCP/IP with a RS/6000 as the
front end. Think of it as using a RS/6000 like a 3172: the IP stack
in the AIX kernel does stack up to IP/TCP, and data is sent up to MVS
over bus&tag using CLAW protocol to the TCP/IP address space.

   Does it save cycles? It should. I've been involved in benchmarking
(as an IBM co-op) on this type of setup. Data should be in the
TCP/IP 3.1 Performance book.

   Remember, you'll be bound by the bandwidth of whatever adapters
you have in RS/6000, and the Channel speed, so you might want to
find out about ESCON between RS/6000 and MVS, or look at the OSA
card that give you FDDI speeds and an external cage/backplane.

|  Jon Austin                             TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU   |
|  Systems Programmer,                                               |
|  OIT Systems Administration Group                                  |
|  412 North Building, Box 90132                                     |
|  Duke University                           phone   (919)660-7024   |
|  Durham, NC  27708-0132                    fax     (919)660-7029   |
|               Duke University: Birthplace of 'USENET'              |