ADSM-L

Re: Administrative Schedules

1996-06-12 09:44:16
Subject: Re: Administrative Schedules
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 06:44:16 PDT
Mike Cotton asks:

>I'm trying to use Define Schedule Type=A to issue the following command:
>"q ev branches daily  begind=today-1 begint=20:00 > c:dsmrpt.txt"
>This is on OS/2 running with MVS as the server.
>Each time the admin schedule runs it gives return code 3 - syntax error.
>If I actually type the command from my admin client there is no problem i.e.
>the command is executed OK.

You can not redirect the output of scheduled admin commands to a file. Rather,
the output from scheduled admin commands must go to the activity log.

Another restriction you should be aware of: you can not schedule a MACRO
command.

These restrictions were not documented in the books. As a result, a DOC APAR
was taken a while back to address this. The APAR number is PN77992.

If you need to have the output redirected to a file, you can use some other
utility to schedule the DSMADMC command, and have it redirect the output to
a file. You might even try using the client scheduler. On the ADSM server,
define a client schedule with ACTION=COMMAND. In the OBJECTS options, specify
something like this:

   "C:\ADSM\DSMADMC -ID=adminid -PA=password -OUTFILE=filespec yourcommand"

You will have to enclose the entire command in quotes, as I've done above. For
example:

   "C:\ADSM\DSMADMC -ID=GUEST -PA=GUEST -OUTFILE=C:\ADSM\QUERY.OUT Q SE"

This would cause the output from the QUERY SESSION command to be routed to a
file called C:\ADSM\QUERY.OUT.

Since you would be embedding ID and password info, register an admin ID with no
privileges. This should be sufficient to do query commands with.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support