ADSM-L

Strange things I have seen.....

1996-06-12 10:50:07
Subject: Strange things I have seen.....
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:50:07 -0400
Date:     June 12, 1996            Time:    07:44
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
The following occurrences, while not worth opening a problem with the support
The following occurrences, while not worth opening a problem with the support
center, do seem "strange" to me.  I wonder if anyone else thinks these things
are strange (as opposed to just thinking that I am strange)  :-)

1.  Expired passwords cannot be reset.  (I used to think that I had a bunch of
people that couldn't type straight).  It appears that if people have the
password expire at the regular interval (90 days for us), and catch the
expiration in a few days, then everything is fine.  But if they miss the
expiration for some time (haven't figured out what that is) then the password
cannot be changed by the user, even if they are prompted to do so.  The
scenario seems to be - I'm on vacation - my password expires the day I go out
I come back and it's now been 100+ days - I'm prompted for password - I
change it - Cannot access ADSM.  At this point the user must contact the
administrator for a change of password.  I found information in the Admin
manuals about changing the base interval (90 days), but nothing on a "grace
period" or a "lockout".  Anyone else seen this?

2.  Transfer rates - First, I should state that I never believed this to be a
totally accurate number; there are too many variables (such as slow server
response time) that could be added to network time to make the number
inaccurate.  However, beginning sometime around Version 2, I noticed that the
transfer rates took a big jump - I now see some real small transfers measure
at 3+Mb/sec on a 4Mb Token ring.  Now I suspect that  is an anomaly caused by
the small amount of data, but I do see sustained rates of 700Kb/second on a
ThinkPad  with Win-95 on the same 4M Token ring.  My own ThinkPad seemed to
get about 60% more throughput when I installed the V2 client on it (runs OS/2
Warp).  Was there anything done to clean up the measurement of throughput, or
was the client network performance improved?

3.  A customer has a ThinkPad 760CD with the CD ROM installed instead of the
floppy.  When he loads the Win95 client, initialization, specifically when it
is checking the drives, is very slow.  Is this due to the fact that the floppy
disk is not installed at the moment?  Can anything be done about this?  Seems
to take about 20 to 30 seconds just to check the drives.  (CD drive was empty,
has a 1.2GB hard drive, but only one partition. )

That's enough weird stuff for now  :-)>

Jerry Lawson