ADSM-L

Re: Transfer rate from RS/6000 to MVS

1996-06-10 12:09:25
Subject: Re: Transfer rate from RS/6000 to MVS
From: Tom McKnerney <thomas_mcknerney AT PHL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:09:25 -0500
     Kevin,
    =20
         We have an RS/9000 model 990 which is channel (bus + tag) attached=
=20
     to our MVS system. I am not familiar with the MVS details (I'm=20
     primarily a UNIX hack) but our users claim "BEST" FTP transfer rates=20
     of 2.5 - 3 MBYTES/sec over the B&T interface. So your rates with ADSM=20
     over fiber seem very slow. This may be due to ADSM overhead and/or=20
     possibly overworked systems on either side. Try FTP'ing a large file,=20
     see what you get for throughput and go from there. If your FTP=20
     throughput is significantly better than ADSM blame ADSM. As another=20
     side note... my understanding is the TCP/IP implementation on a MVS=20
     system is much slower than UNIX (even Mainframe software vendors=20
     selling network backup products admit this). Expect MVS TCP/IP to=20
     max-out at 2 or 3 MBytes/sec regardless of your network topology. This=
=20
     issue, I have been told, has to do with the way TCP/IP runs as a task=20
     on MVS whereas UNIX has a kernel-level IP implementation.
    =20
    =20
     Tom Mcknerney