ADSM-L

Client Server Disaster Recovery

1996-06-07 18:14:56
Subject: Client Server Disaster Recovery
From: Kelly Root <kroot1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:14:56 -0500
We have been working on a plan for Disaster Recovery for our most critical
OS/2 fileservers (27). Our ADSM server(2.1.3)  is MVS.  Our objective is to
recover  critical fileserver(s) in a minimum amount of time which means as
few tape mounts as possible. We have a single DASD backup storage pool for all
fileservers and workstations (almost 1000 nodes). The size of the backup
tape pool is over 1,500 tapes. These tapes are NOT being collated due to
time constraints and tape considerations including minimizing tape vault
slots and tape mounts. Currently we retain 8 versions of a file and if file
is deleted we keep the file for 35 days before permanently deleting from ADSM.

Now that you have the background info-- Outlined below is our plan which
will occur weekly not daily. We want our new D.R.  process to work without
having to change the dsm.opt file.   We would appreciate any and all
comments as to whether this is the most effecient solution.

1. Defined new Domain, Policy Set and Management Class.

2. A copy group is defined using the following command:
    def co DMDRBKUP PSDRBKUP MCDRBKUP dest=DRBACKUP freq=0     vere=1 verd=0
rete=nolimit mode=mod ser=dy. Initial backup will back up all         files
but only most current version of a file will be kept.

3. Set up separate primary storage pool  with a copypool. Tape primary  pool
is set     up with collation. The copypool is not set up with collocation
and will be sent         offsite.

4. Created new DR nodes for the selected fileservers. ( Which means each
fileserver  has 2 nodes) . This had to be done in order to keep the same
management policies on daily backups. An ADSM node can only be assigned
to one Policy Domain.. We want to be able to restore active versions of files
without a    large number of tape mounts..

5. Defined new schedule for disaster recovery pool and associated new DR node.

6. On fileserver side started second scheduler with the -node=newDRnode in
    paratment setting.

7.  Set Access to allow original node to restore new DRnode backups.

8.  Restore fromn=newDRnode using original node name.