ADSM-L

API Restore Problem

1996-06-06 09:00:51
Subject: API Restore Problem
From: Michel Gaillard <Michel.Gaillard AT VZ.CIT.ALCATEL DOT FR>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:00:51 +0200
Hello there,

We are currently running a bunch of ADSM servers on VM (V1R1L0.15) and
offering Backup/Restore services to Unix, Netware and NT clients.

The number of files stored in these servers is around 14 millions and
all these files have been backed up using V1 clients.

We also have a lot of DB2/6000 backups going bigger everyday
(they use the ADSM API) and plan to introduce an specific Archive
service based also on the API.

My concern is the following :

The fix to the API restore problem will be available with V2 clients
 (first am I right ? : no V1 API fix ?? )
It implies that we should hurry in testing V2 clients
 (yes we are testing them before introducing them in production)
to be able to have the corrected API version !!

My questions are:

(1) Is it possible to run API V2 with Backup/Restore V1 client
on the same machine ?
It would be much easier for us to upgrade API only on the DB2/6000
servers and the Central Archiving machines..

(2) If 1) is possible, what will be impacted : do we have to recompile
 the code (locally developped), change it, or do nothing because the
changes are only in the shared lib ? (it would bet on the latter)

(3) When this fix will be available publicly and will you be able to
deliver maintenance service only on the API; to my knowledge API is
included with V2 clients !!

Note:
=====
I am always a little bit worried when IBM uses the
"rare .... condition" term ;
It reminds me what happened when you discovered the bug in the
compression algorithm (levels < 0.7 in version 1) .. the number
of files impacted should have been small ;
We had more than 500 concerned with the problem..

Cheers, Michel

--
Michel Gaillard
Michel Gaillard