ADSM-L

ADSM and MVS

1996-06-04 19:00:03
Subject: ADSM and MVS
From: Bruce Elrick <bruce AT WINTERLAND.MAINLAND.AB DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:00:03 -0600
Hello again...

I've received some helpful feedback to my initial query, so I've come
up with a more specific question.

It appears as though the ADSM client on MVS (going to a generic ADSM
server) only deals with the new data structures that come with
OpenEdition MVS; that is, it only deals with HFS.  My impression is
HFS is there to provide an easier API for porting Unix apps.  Current
mainframe apps will continue to use traditional MVS data storage
methods (VSAM, linear data sets ?!? (mainframes are not my forte))
which are handled via DFSMS.

I've heard that when the ADSM server is on the MVS system there are
hooks between DFSMS and ADSM.  Is this true?  Is there latent
capability in the MVS ADSM client which only becomes available when
speaking to the MVS ADSM server?  If so, what does it provide?

How do others handle using ADSM where there is an MVS client and other
clients, but where you don't necessarily want to use the MVS system as
the ADSM server for all systems?  We're talking using SSA disk and a
3494 library with 3590 drives hanging off an AIX box.

Thanks...
--
Bruce M. Elrick           bruce AT mainland.ab DOT ca   Phone: (403) 266-6611
Bruce M. Elrick           bruce AT mainland.ab DOT ca   Phone: (403) 266-6611