ADSM-L

Re: Julie Phinney's question about moving ADSM disk volumes

1996-05-28 17:23:13
Subject: Re: Julie Phinney's question about moving ADSM disk volumes
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 14:23:13 PDT
Julie Phinney boldly :-)   asks:

>OUR SITE IS PLANNING TO MOVE ALL THE MAINFRAME DASD TO A DIFFERENT
>STATE NEXT MONTH.  THE PLAN IS TO USE FDR TO DO FULL VOLUME BACKUP
>AND RESTORES TO DASD ALREADY INSTALLED AT THE NEW LOCATION.  DOES
>ANYONE KNOW IF ADSM WILL HAVE A PROBLEM MOVING THE DATABASE,
>RECOVERY LOG AND PRIMARY STORAGE POOLS THIS WAY?

I know that DFSMSdss (formerly known as DFDSS) can perform track-image
dumps of your DASD volumes. This being the case, you could use DFSMSdss
to move your volumes in the manner you describe. The caveat is: Make sure
That ADSM is shut down prior to performing the full volume dumps.

I don't know whether FDR does track-image dumps. I think it does. If so,
then you should be able to safely use FDR as well, with the same caveat
as above.

Just as an extra precaution: you should do an online, consistent dump
of the database prior to shutting ADSM down for the last time (before
the move). You might also want to consider migrating all data off of the
disk volumes (if feasible) before the database backup. Or, if running
ADSM V2, consider running BACKUP STG for the disk pool(s), just for that
extra ounce of protection, again before running the online database
dump.

Lastly, before the move, make sure you have set up the VOLUMEHIST and
DEVCONFIG options in your ADSM server options file so that you have
disk data set copies of your device configuration and volume history
files. These will come in handy if you find yourself in the position of
having to restore the ADSM database.

Good luck!

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support