ADSM-L

Re: Problem with PASSWORDGENERATE

1996-05-24 05:50:21
Subject: Re: Problem with PASSWORDGENERATE
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 10:50:21 +0100
>  We just ran into this ourselves.  There is an APAR for this, IC13320.
>  The problem is caused by rapid archiving, as from a script.  The workaround
>  is to not archive so fast, ie by putting in a delay between archives.
>  ..Paul
>
>  -- Description of APAR IC13320:
>     APAR Identifier ...... IC13320      Last Changed ........ 96/05/14
>     ADSM CLIENT PASSWORD FILE DISAPPEARS AFTER AUTHENTICATION ERROR
>     DURING ARCHIVE. SERVER SEES ERROR ANR9999D SMEXEC.C(3129):

Paul,

We too have seen and reported this problem - but on our system it is NOT
related to archive : I believe it is related to HSM. It started occuring
as soon as we installed 2.1.0.3 of the AIX client in mid-April. On this
client we do very little archiving and a lot of HSM. I have cross-checked
times when the password file goes and archive is not occuring then. [I
know to within 10 minutes when it goes as I have been running a script for
5 weeks to check for the file being there and put it back if it's gone
AWOL!] This client is a site-wide fileserver and that becomes tricky when
HSM stops working because it's lost it's password ...]

The symptoms we see are otherwise identical to those decribed by yourself
and Yves.

Regards, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, Uk     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275