ADSM-L

Incremental vs Full Backups

1996-05-23 20:10:59
Subject: Incremental vs Full Backups
From: Frank Rehor <Frank.Rehor AT CLOROX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 17:10:59 -0700
We are in the process of implementing ADSM for the first time in our shop
and I'm trying to clear up some confusion on our part re: backups.  We
come from a mainframe environment where we do weekly 'full' backups of
datasets (backup all files in the shop) and daily 'incrementals' (backup
only files changed since the last backup).  If we need to recover our
system we restore the latest backup of a dataset which is, at most, only a
week old.

In ADSM we see only incremental backups.  Granted the first backup is truly
a 'Full' since nothing has been backed up prior.  If a file does not get
updated periodically it won't be backed up again.  The concern is how long
we must keep backups to guarantee there being an available means to recover
a file that, e.g., may be read only or updated very infrequently.

Any feedback would be helpful.  Do we need to look at this from a totally
different perspective than the mainframe world?