ADSM-L

Tape won't free up

1996-05-23 16:55:33
Subject: Tape won't free up
From: Vern Maxson <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 15:55:33 EST
ADSM had a process running that was migrating files from disk to tape.
When it completed, it dismounted the volume, but got an these errors on
the tape:
ANR8302E I/O error on drive DRIVE1 (/dev/mt0) (OP=REW, CC=205, KEY=FF,
ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF).
ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume ARC015 in drive DRIVE1
(/dev/mt0).
ANR8300E I/O error on library ROBO1 (OP=00006C03, CC=304, KEY=02,
ASC=04, ASCQ=01).
ANR8469E Dismount of 8MM volume ARC015 from drive DRIVE1 (/dev/mt0) in
library ROBO1 failed.

The tape was ejected from the drive, but the robot arm did not remove
the tape to the storage drum, so I used the buttons on the library
device (Exabyte 480) to move the tape to its former location in the
storage drum.  Later "QUERY MOUNT" commands continued to show the tape
still IN USE in the drive, but "QUERY PROCESS" commands showed no
active processes.  Fifty minutes later, the console shows the message:
ANR8337I 8MM volume ARC015 mounted in drive DRIVE4 (/dev/mt3), but
the tape was never dismounted, nothing else is in the log for that tape.
I don't see any reason for the mount, and "QUERY PROCESS" commands
show no active processes.  I started an "AUDIT VOLUME" command for
ARC015, and it is waiting for access to input volume ARC015, although
there are no other processes.

So now, the tape is mounted in DRIVE4, but no one is using it, and
the Audit Volume process that wants to use it can't, because the tape
is IN USE.  How do I get out of this, short of restarting ADSM?