ADSM-L

Reccomended # of tape drives???

1996-05-23 15:32:09
Subject: Reccomended # of tape drives???
From: Tom McKnerney <thomas_mcknerney AT PHL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 14:32:09 -0500
    =20
     All,
    =20
          We are trying to gather some information on ADSM, and the=20
     hardware needed to support it. Our site (briefly) consists of UNIX,=20
     Novell, Windows/NT, and some OS/2. Total storage across all (30 or so)=
=20
     servers is approaching 160-170GB. We are looking at an RS/6000 F30=20
     with Fast Ethernet and about 12GB of disk reserved for ADSM storage=20
     pools to act as a dedicated ADSM server. Our tape subsystem will=20
     consist of _TWO_ StorageTek Timberline 3490E tape drives on an STK=20
     Wolfcreek silo (840 slots). Do you think two drives will be enough to=20
     handle the tape reclaim processing and still allow for restores during=
=20
     the day? Would you recommend three or more drives initially? Given the=
=20
     info above, can someone take a stab at approximating the time for tape=
=20
     reclaim processing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    =20
     Tom McKnerney