ADSM-L

Notes Backups

1996-05-17 17:41:52
Subject: Notes Backups
From: Chuck Mattern <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 17:41:52 -0400
I am in the process of setting up a Lotus Notes server on an HP 9000
running HP-UX 10.01.  I am using a raw logical volume for the Notes
database at the recommendation of the Lotus (IBM) consultant.  I am
using ADSM to backup the machine's cooked file systems.

I understand that an OS/2 Notes server can do document level backups
of the Notes databases and we have considered setting up an OS/2
machine, replicating the databases from the HP and backing up that way
however this seems to be a bit of a kludge to me and I'd like to find
a better way.

The other alternative is to backup the raw logical volume to local DAT
or to a file in a cooked file system.  This also is a kludge, and of
course if I go this route I have a backup strategy that really only
handles a disaster and does nothing for me in the event that someone
just roaches a document that really was important.

Since IBM owns both ADSM and Notes We are pushing for an interface
that will handle this the right way (that is allow document level
backup using ADSM on my HP).

Until then does anyone have any words of wisdom to help me get by?

Regards,
Chuck