ADSM-L

Win95 scheduler

2015-10-04 18:15:42
Subject: Win95 scheduler
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 5/13/96 4:02PM
To start the Scheduler, simply start the command line interface with a parm of
"Schedule"  passed to it - In OS/2, I use a bat file with one line that reads:

      DSMC SCHEDULE

This works in Win95, too, but I have found a way I prefer better.  (Please
bear with this as I am not on Win95 at the moment, and am writting this from
memory.... and I ain't as young as I used to be  :-)

Start in the ADSM folder. - select the Icon for DSMC.EXE, then click with the
right mouse button.  A list of options should show - select Create Shortcut.
You should now have an Icon titled something like "Shortcut for DSMC.EXE".
You can change the title by holding down the "Alt" key, and clicking on the
title itself.  It should appear in a box; highlight the text and change it to
something like "ADSM Scheduler".  Click outside the box to set the text.  Now
select the Icon again, click the right mouse button, and select "Properties"
from the list.  The properties book should appear.  Click on the Shortcut tab,
and the page should change.  The new page should have the DSMC.EXE name
highlighted.  click at the end of that line, and add " Schedule", then click
on the OK button.  You now have a shortcut to run the scheduler - double click
on it and a DOS window should appear, the scheduler should launch, and ask for
a password.

To get the scheduler into the startup folder, do the following:  Select the
ADSM Scheduler Icon, and then click with the right mouse button.  When the
list appears, select Copy.  The shortcut is now on the clipboard.  Go to the
desktop, and double click on the "My Copmputer" icon.  In the subsequent
window - select "Windows", and double click on that.  In the following window,
find the folder labeled "Start Menu", and double click on that.  The following
window should have a folder labeled "Programs" - double click on that.  The
following window should have a folder labeled "StartUp - double click on that
to open it. Then click with the right mouse button, and select paste.   The
ADSM Scheduler should now be in the StartUp folder, and the next time you
start Win95, the scheduler should start automatically.

Advanced........
You can include the password in the properties entry by adding the -PAS=xxxx
after the Schedule Parm you added when the shortcut was created.  You can then
select "Run Minimized" from the options on the first page of the properties
book, and the scheduler will start and stay in the background.  However, you
must be careful, as password expirations will be in the hidden window, and if
the password is changed, the properties entry has to be changed too.

Hope this helps - if there are confussing spots in the above, let me know.  I
think it is easier than the instructions make it sound.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT jlawson.itthartford DOT com