ADSM-L

Re: Delete backups

1996-05-09 10:13:05
Subject: Re: Delete backups
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 07:13:05 PDT
Claudia Masters said:

>As an ADSM database administrator the capability of deleting files should be
>available.
>Just as IBM has provided the same capability in the DFSMShsm environment.
>It is essential that administrators have more control over the data they are
>entrusted with.
>One example may be just as you stated, large files that are using large
>amount of storage.
>Or an even better reason may be a certain software vendor's requirement to
>delete or remove any traces of expired/unlicensed software.

Your point is well taken. While I did say that in general you want to be
cautious about deleting backup versions, I also caveated it by adding
"unless there is a compelling reason". And yes, the examples you cite are
indeed compelling reasons.

This is a valid requirement, and in fact we already have several requirements
to provide this sort of feature.

In the mean time, hopefully you now have a work-around, cumbersome as it is.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130