ADSM-L

How to deal with HSM file systems via NFS?

1996-05-08 15:34:25
Subject: How to deal with HSM file systems via NFS?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT ACS.BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 15:34:25 -0400
I'm experimenting with making HSM file systems available via NFS and
am finding some kinks in the procedures.  The HSM manual (SH26-4030-0,
Using the UNIX Hierarchical Storage Managment Clients) barely touches
on this on p.33, and is very deficient in describing what actually
needs to be done to actually make this work.
    If the AIX server reboots, AIX does its normal thing of exporting
the file systems named in /etc/exports.  This, of course, only exports
the normal JFS file system.  Then ADSM HSM starts and mounts its FSM
over the JFS.  Attempt to now mount the file system from an NFS client
and you get "access denied", because you have to do yet another
'exportfs FileSystemName'.  I added exportfs commands to the end of
the /etc/rc.adsmhsm to do this.
    The problem remains that NFS clients have a window of opportunity
to mount the exported JFS file system, which is not good.
How have other sites best dealt with this situation?
       thanks, Richard Sims, Boston University OIT