ADSM-L

Questions about administering Archiving

1996-05-02 11:34:45
Subject: Questions about administering Archiving
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT ACS.BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 11:34:45 -0400
I've been trying the Archiving in ADSM and find that, while it
works okay physically, its management facilities seem very lame.
I was wondering if anyone else was doing Archiving and how they
have dealt with its administration.

A very basic problem is that I can't find any way to, as a user,
do a query to list all the files I've archived.  For example, I
archive some from my home directory, then some from /tmp, then
from /var/tmp (in AIX).  You expect there to be a simple command
to list all your archived files, in total - but there doesn't seem
to be.  The manual says that 'Query ARchive "/*" -SUbdir=yes' will
list all archived files.  It doesn't.  You get:
  ANS4086E No files have previously been archived for '/*'
The only recourse seems to tediously do 'Query Filespace' and then
do a 'Query Archive' on each filespace in turn.

Now picture yourself as the root user on that client system, expecting
to be able to list files archived by the users of your system.  In
attempting the general query you first encounter the Filespace problem
above.  Then, if you query each filespace in turn, it will reveal
archived files, but with *no* indication as to their owner.  Not very
useful.  So you think of the recourse of going to the server and doing:
 'Query Content VolSer Type=Archive'
but that likewise only lists filenames with no indication as to their
owner.

I very much need the Archiving function of ADSM, but am reluctant to
implement it on our 28,000-user cluster if ADSM provides no useful
means of identifying ownership and thus controlling what it going on -
*particularly* in the absence of Backup/Archive quotas in ADSM!
So I face what looks like a mighty poor situation.
I'd appreciate any insights from those who have more experience with
ADSM Archiving.

     thanks, Richard Sims, Boston University OIT