ADSM-L

Notes Client Performance Data

1996-04-30 14:50:58
Subject: Notes Client Performance Data
From: Vin A San Angelo/IT/VGI <Vin_A_San_Angelo AT VANGUARD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 13:50:58 EST
Presently, we are testing ADSM for OS/2, NT, and Notes.  OS/2 and NT have run
fine.  However, we are running into some "problems" with the Notes client.  For
example, it seems as if our backups are running extremely slow.  Granted, I am
familiar with the checking each document within a database and interfacing with
the Notes API, but our results are revealing backups on the order of  60
MB/hr.  We understand that this is really a problem with the initial full
backup as the rest are incrementals.  But we have almost 50 GB of notes data
that needs backing up.  We have considered only backing up some portions of of
the notes data on a daily incremental basis and backing up the rest with the
OS/2 client.  I was just wondering what type of performance data others are
getting when using the notes client?  And really how many people are using it
and the maximum size of databases being backed up with the client.

This leads to another concern I have.  We are using the MVS client as the
host.  When using the notes client, each database is being backed up to DASD.
I know the size of the database before it is backed up.  When a backup is
complete, I check the amount of DASD occupied by that database and it is twice
as much.  For example, I backed up a 14 MB database, and when I check it on
mainframe, using the q occ command, it says 28 MB for space occupied.  Has
anyone else experienced this?  I have spoken to IBM about this and was told
that for each document, the client adds a header and is causing the backed up
database to grow to this size.  This makes sense, since when I back up small
databases, with relatively few documents, it does not grow very much, if at
all.  But is doubling the size excessive?  Especially, when you have 50 GB of
data to back up.  For the previously mentioned 14 MB database, there are 6000
documents.  I have tried a 40,000 document database and seen even worse
results.  Also, I have compression OFF because it seems as if the client runs
more reliably this way.  Has anyone had problems with the compression feature
of the notes client producing instabilities?

Regards,

Vince San Angelo
The Vanguard Group
Vin_A_San_Angelo AT vanguard DOT com