ADSM-L

Priorities of Processes vs Sessions

1996-04-24 17:59:21
Subject: Priorities of Processes vs Sessions
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:59:21 -0700
Does anybody know what priority scheme if any that the ADSM server applies to
determine allocation of resources such as limited number of tape drives in a
349x atl? Specifically, our situation is as follows:
     Standard backup policy is to small disk pool that migrates out to tape
pool in
     349x atl. Migration level is purposedly set very low (2%) to kick off
     migration asap to ensure data is out on tape. Then we have special policies
     for SAP & Sybase databases that go directly to tape pool. Being that the
     atl only has 4 drives, we have seen many instances when backup sessions,
     migration and reclamation are all competing for tape mounts. While things
     always seem to resolve themselves eventually, I was wondering if anybody
     can shed some light on the priority scheme involved here.
Thanks in advance for the info.