ADSM-L

Tape Expiration

1996-04-22 10:45:04
Subject: Tape Expiration
From: Jane Dagostino-Snyder <j-dago AT CAFE.TC.UMN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:45:04 -0600
Hi,
I am using ADSM on a MVS host.   My question here is:

I recently deleted a node and needed to delete all of its file spaces thus it
released a tape from itself but it did not release it from TMS.  I allow
ADSM to just ask for a tape and do not have any tape pools it needs to
use other  than a 3490e cartridge verses a 3480 cartrigde.  I queried
TMS and the tape is in permanent status.  I can release it from TMS
myself but it is not something I want to do it the future.

Ideally, I would like to have ADSM select a tape, do not allow other jbos
to use tape while still in use with ADSM , (we have only one tape
management system currently but who know, that could change) and
when ADSM is done with the  tape release it from itself and have TMS
put it in scratch status allowing other jobs to use the tape.

Have I defined a retention period wrong here or maybe should not have
at all or what?

Thanks,
Jane Dagostino-Snyder
University of Minnesota