ADSM-L

Re: Restoring a SUN/Solaris BOOT drive with ADSM v1.2 (SUN HOST)

1996-04-16 03:13:04
Subject: Re: Restoring a SUN/Solaris BOOT drive with ADSM v1.2 (SUN HOST)
From: "Andreas.Floeter" <Andreas.Floeter AT AIRBUS DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:13:04 +0200
On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Michael Lewandowski wrote:

>      Hello all'

Hi Michael,

the problem is that ADSM is not backin up device files, for instance. As
I understand it, at present it is not possible to back up an Unix
operating system with ADSM. This is a severe restrict to us either.
Hopefully I am only mistaken, but the workarounds are very cumbersome.

Regards,

        Andreas Floeter

>      I've been trying to backup/restore a Sun/Solaris (2.4) boot disk with
>      ADSM v1.2 (HOST is also running on a SUN 2.4 system).
>      To make this test simple, I setup the following:
>      Sparc 20 with 2 target disks, C0T1 and C0T3.
>      -I installed the 'Core System' from the CDROM on-to target C0T3
>      (configured TCP, etc, and booted from it). Essentially you wind up
>      with a bootable target with 3 UFS's on it, those are:
>      / (20meg)
>      /usr (22meg)
>      /export/home (20meg)
>      -I installed ADSM (client) in /export/home.
>      -Executed a ADSM incremental backup (full dump)
>      -Created partitions on C0T1 that are identical to C0T3
>      -Ran NEWFS on 3 new UFS's on C0T1
>      -Mounted the UFS's on C0T1 (while booted from C0T3) as:
>        /  as '/newroot'
>        /usr as '/newusr'
>        /export/home as '/newhome'
>      -Executed ADSM restores as follows:
>       restore -sub=yes -la / /newroot
>       restore -sub=yes -la /usr /newusr
>       restore -sub=yes -la /export/home /newhome
>        (this all ran to completion)
>      -Last step was to run INSTALLBOOT on C0T1D0S0
>      -BOOT from C0T1
>
>      The boot from C0T1 results in the server hanging immediately after
>      testing RAM....There are NO ERROR or FAILURE messages.
>
>      How our others using ADSM to restore SUN/Solaris BOOT disks?
>
>      I would really appreciate some help.
>
>      thanks
>
>      Mike Lewandowski
>      First Chicago NBD Corporation

Disclaimer: These are my views and not those of my employer.

                        Andreas Floeter
Phone: +49 40 74 37 - 48 50     FAX: +49 40 74 37 - 27 55 (or 47 60)
email: Andreas.Floeter AT airbus DOT de

                Daimler-Benz Aerospace Airbus GmbH
Kreetslag 10, 21129 Hamburg; Postfach 95 01 09, 21111 Hamburg, Germany