ADSM-L

library swap

1996-04-08 17:09:35
Subject: library swap
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:09:35 EDT
If someone can tell me whether the following plan to swap tape libraries
will work or not, I would appreciate the feedback.  Thanks in advance.

Here's the problem:

We want to "borrow" a DLT tape robot for a short time.
We then want to replace this loaner with a new DLT robot.
I want to be able to quickly and easily move the tapes from the loaner
  robot to the new robot (i.e., without having to do massive MOVE DATA).

Plan A:
1. CHECKOUT LIBVOL to remove all tapes from loaner library
2. DELETE LIBRARY  to delete the loaner library
3. disconnect library
4. attach new library
5. DEFINE LIBRARY  to define the new library (same SCSI addresses)
6. CHECKIN LIBVOL

Concerns:
1) Will I be able to do the DELETE LIBRARY (step 2) even though there are
   still tape volumes defined in the storage pool that is using this library?
2) Does the new library have to have the same name as the loaner library?
3) What did I forget about?

Plan B:
The only other thing I can think of doing is to omit steps #2 and #5.
  The new library is simply a larger model of the loaner library.  If I use
  the same SCSI addresses, will ADSM care that I swapped hardware?  I would
  probably have to do an AUDIT LIBRARY after doing the swap.

Thanks again for any responses.  Send them directly to me.  If anyone else
is interested, let me know and I'll forward a summary to you.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601