ADSM-L

Re: NW3.11 - TCP/IP connection failures

2015-10-04 18:16:04
Subject: Re: NW3.11 - TCP/IP connection failures
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 4/4/96 12:27AM
Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
________________________Forward Header________________________
Author: INTERNET.OWNERAD
04-04-96 12:27 AM

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Jerry Lawson wrote:

> What associated messages are you getting?  Look in both the DSMERROR.LOG
> on th
> e client, and try to match up the failure times with the server's
> messages for
> the same time.  I have seen some ANR0481 messages (I think that was the
> number) on the server that indicated that the client had exceeded the
> timeout
> value set in the server options file.  The default is 60 seconds - we
> reset it
> at 300 seconds, and this helped tremendously.  Of course there is also the
> possibility that a block was dropped, in which case the increase will
> not help
> at all.

The network going across the campus is not the greatest (still on the old
broadband technology).  Packet losses are common and fluctuate wildly (5 -
20% easily (100base-T fiber just around the corner)).  Most likely blocks
are getting dropped.  Doesn't it just try to resend them?  Maybe I'm
confusing "blocks" with something else.  I don't think it's a timeout
problem as I watch the log on the console and transfers just come to a
dead halt.  Exactly 60 seconds later, it gives up.  Even so, I'll try
modifying the timeout to see what happens.

Any workaround for "dropped blocks"?  I'll be implementing several UNIX
clients tomorrow to see if they're affected by our network limitations.
Joe Morris - morris AT unc DOT edu - http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
OIT/Computing Systems, Development