ADSM-L

reclamation of offsite volumes

1996-04-02 10:57:57
Subject: reclamation of offsite volumes
From: Greg Tevis <gtevis AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 07:57:57 PST
One clarification on Sam's append on offsite reclamation...I just
wanted to make sure everyone realized that you don't need to bring
back offsite volumes in order to do reclamation on them.  Let me
briefly explain how this 'magic' is done.  The valid files remaining
on sparsely filled offsite volumes are copied from the original
copies of the files.  These original copies of the files are in
the primary storage pools onsite...thus no offsite volumes need
to be brought back to do reclamation.  A new set of copy stg pool
volumes are created which contain all the valid files on the
offsite volumes that were reclaimed...these new (full) tapes are
then taken offsite.  The reclaimed offsite volumes go into a
holding state (Pending) for as long as you specify with
the REUSEDELAY parameter (on define copy storage pool).

It sounds like maybe there is a problem if not all offsite
volumes over the reclaim value are being reclaimed....continue
pursuing with service...thanks...Greg Tevis