ADSM-L

Re: adsm v2r1

1996-03-28 13:47:06
Subject: Re: adsm v2r1
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT CELLNET DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:47:06 PST
> I have setup an AIX4.1 machine as the adsm server for 120+ PC's running NT.
> The Plan:
> -  is to do a full backup on each machine once a week and incrementals
>    the rest of the week.
> -  and to use seperate tapes each day for full_backup and incrementals
>    ( something like Full_Monday_Week13_tape1, Full_Monday_Week13_tape2 ...
>       and Incr_Monday_Week13_tape1, Incr_Monday_Week13_tape2 ... )

I think this is going to be extremely impractical.  ADSM does not discern
one tape from another.  He looks at tapes as a pool which you have no control
over at the volume level (in terms of specific content) without creating a
very impractical number of tape pools which might cause you more grief than
it's worth.

> The problems I have run into so far:
>
> - Since I can only define what tapes to use in the policy domain and the
>   node definition for a particular host includes the "Policy Domain"
>   information the above scheme for tapes will not work unless

This scheme is more suited to the classical paradigm that encompasses
UNIX dump.  ADSM treats its tape volumes as a sealed unit.

>   I keep changing the policy domain for all the hosts everyday.
>   How would changing the policy domain every day effect the
>   database information if I have to do a restores.
>   Or is there a better way to handle this tape scheme?

Use another product.  I have no suggestions, however what it sounds like
is that you are trying to do something that ADSM was not created for.
Mitch Sako                            Phone:     (415) 508-6761
Mitch Sako                            Phone:     (415) 508-6761
Cellnet Data Systems                  FAX:       (415) 508-6700
125 Shoreway Road                     Pager:     (408) 989-3365
San Carlos, CA 94070                  email:     mitch AT cellnet DOT com
                                      personal:  msako AT netcom DOT com