ADSM-L

Offsite Reclaim

1996-03-26 13:54:36
Subject: Offsite Reclaim
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 11:54:36 PDT
I have opened an ETR with ADSM support on this question, but thought
that I would post it here too, in case anyone else might have run into
this problem.

Running MVS version 2 server at level .3, I am finding that the reclaim
of my offsite copy pool is not working correctly.  Scenario is as follows:

  1. Reset reclaim % on the offsite copy pool from 100 to 80.
  2. Some 300+ volumes start reclaim processing.
  3. Tapes from the local pool get called in for the reclaim process.
  4. Some small percentage (around 10) of the offsite tapes get the
     message that they are now SCRATCH volumes and are PENDING (based on
     REUSEDELAY).
  5. All 300+ tapes get message that reclaim processing is complete yet
     only a small percent (see #4) are actually empty. The rest still
     contain varying amounts of valid data as shown by QUERY VOLUME and
     QUERY CONTENT commands.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated as we seem to be
chewing up a lot of tape unnecessarily.

Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV