ADSM-L

multiple backup slowness

1996-03-22 15:46:08
Subject: multiple backup slowness
From: John Harvey <harvey AT QUARK.SCS.UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:46:08 -0600
I use adsm (server v1r2 exabyte 8200 8mm) to backup our systems and I have
noticed that it takes a long time for adsm to find the end of the tape and
begin a new round of backups after you shutdown the server and rewind the tape.
By a long time I mean almost 2 hours if the tape is nearly full. Can anything
be done to shorten this time besides leaving adsm running all the time and
setting the mount retain period to 9999?

--John
    ATTGCA   AATA   GGCC   TTAGC                 John Harvey
    ATTGCA   AATA   GGCC   TTAGC                 John Harvey
          A T    G C    C C                 University of Illinois
           G      C      A                Department of Biochemistry
          T A    C G    G G         600 S Matthews Box B-4, Urbana Il, 61801
    TAACGT   TTAT   CCGG   AATCG          harvey AT quark.scs.uiuc DOT edu
                                        WWW http://quark.scs.uiuc.edu
"DON'T TRUST YOUR GENES TO JUST ANYONE"