ADSM-L

Database Problem

1996-03-22 14:44:39
Subject: Database Problem
From: "David E. Bohm" <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 12:44:39 MST
> I moved the database volumes from a 3380 to a 3390 yesterday.  ADSM
> came up fine, but when we try to back the db columes up, I get a
> message from DFDSS that says:

> DATA SET SYS2.ADSM.DB1 IS AN LDS DATA SET WITH DUMMY BLOCKS.  IT WILL
> NOT BE PROCESSED

How were the data base volumes moved from 3380 to 3390?  I have seen this
problem in my previous life when I used to work DFDSS support.  In
general terms this means after the move there are some physical blocks on
the track that are unaccounted for in the CA.  A DFDSS copy or dump/restore
from the 3380 to the 3390 should have resulted in a data set on the 3390
without dummy blocks.  DFDSS is able to determine that more blocks fit on
on the target track and correctly process the data set.

The dump and load that you are looking at could take some time to process.
My suggestion is to allocate new data base volumes on the 3390 volumes
and do delete dbv commands for the old volumes.  This will cause ADSM
to move the data from the old volumes to the new volumes while still allowing
access to your ADSM server.

To answer your question about where to find documentation on the loaddb command
if you decide to go this route, take a look at the V2 manuals you have.  The
dumpdb and loaddb were added by a PTF in V1 so the documentation does not have
all of the information on it.  The V2 Reference manual has information including
sample JCL.  If you do not have the V2 manuals you can look in
SYS1.SAMPLIB(ANR1110) which contains the writeup from each PTF.  This will also
contain information and sample JCL.

Hope this helps - David Bohm, ADSM technical support.