ADSM-L

Re: Tape error on ADSM restore

1996-03-20 12:28:23
Subject: Re: Tape error on ADSM restore
From: Dan Crouse <Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:28:23 -0500
On  Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Susie McClure wrote:

>Subject: failed restore- but what tape ???

>I hope someone can help me with this restore problem.

>I have a MAC client trying to restore his whole system.

>The restore keeps coming to a point where it issues a message (no number)
>saying file not found.... and then it just fails... does not continue with
the
>rest of the restore.

>Looking in the activity log I see no indication of an error.  It is hard to
tell
>in ADSM exactly which tape it was reading when it failed, so I tracked it
>several times to see what was mounted... I get it down to 5 different tapes
>being mounted at the time.  I do an "audit volume" fix=no on all of them
hoping
>it will find an error and we can then delete the reference to the bad
file.....
>but they all complete their audit with no irretrieveable files found.

>I do notice on a MAC restore it seems to bring down directory (folder)
entries
>first for a section, and then go back and bring down the actual files for
the
>folders.... so maybe my mounted tapes only have the folders and not the
files
>but I can't figure it out for sure.  Also , an audit of one of the tapes,
calls
>for a mount for audit for 2 other tapes, I assume because of some files
spanning
>multiple volumes...... but I never see those 2 tapes get mounted during the
>actual restore function.... so maybe the file that spans the volumes is NOT
for
>this client ???!!!

>Anyhow.... any ideas how I can find the bad record and delete the reference
(I
>do know the file we are failing on) or how to make the restore go past
>the error and just restore what it can find ????

>Many thanks,
>Susie McClure
>RICE University
Susie,

I encountered a similar problem when I was at an oil and gas company across
town from you.  The way that I got around the problem was:

     I created a dummy file with the same name as the file the recover was
      failing on.

     I backed up the dummy file using an ADSM selective backup.

     I then was able to execute the full restore successfully.

     I recovered the 'bad' file from a prior version using a selective
restore.

The reason that this technique works is that on a mass restore ADSM pulls
back the latest version of all files by default.  Since the dummy backup is
good, ADSM will restore the dummy file and proceed with the rest of the
RESTORE.  One caveat is that you will want to insure that expiration does
not run during this procedure and delete the 'prior' version of the bad
file.

I hope that this is not too late.  I had gotten a little behind on reading
the forum entries.  Let me know if this helps.

DanC
Daniel G. Crouse
Software Information Services, Inc.
Email:  Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM
Voice:  800-233-6838