ADSM-L

ADSM criticized

1996-03-19 11:12:59
Subject: ADSM criticized
From: GLW2 <GLW2 AT OFS.CO.WESTCHESTER.NY DOT US>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 11:12:59 -0500
We have been running ADSM for a couple of years now - MVS Server, Windows,
OS/2, AIX, Netware clients.  One of our Novell guys has experienced some
problems with recent restorations and is suggesting to management that we
may want to return to stand-alone tape backup.  I have clipped some of his
comments and included them below.  I would appreciate some feedback from the
user community (and IBM), both pro and con, relating to this issue.  Thanks
in advance for your time and opinions.
  Gary Wood, County of Westchester, NY

When server xxxx  was restored after last year's crash, ADSM restored the
NDS while converting all lower-case object entries to uppercase.  Users
logging in at DOT could not gain access to their Midas application because
NOS passes %LOGIN_NAME to DOS for perimeter access processing.  It failed.
Only after re-doing the Midas security system (all users) were they able to

Recently, ADSM flunked the restoration test again by disallowing the
deletion of a user object in container xxxx.  This damaged NDS
structure is in production, left to be re-discovered by the ADSM authors or
whomever else chooses to look .....

I have the distinct impression that Netware (or maybe Westchester County) is
being used as a beta test site ....

Thus, since ADSM, as installed, can still damage Netware Directory Services,
it is not clear to me that this product is a viable alternative to
standalone backup solutions.