ADSM-L

FW: Backuppool tape utilitzation

1996-03-14 15:42:00
Subject: FW: Backuppool tape utilitzation
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:42:00 EST
Larry,
     I think there's an APAR open on this... don't know the number offhand,
though.

Tim
 ----------
From: owner-adsm-l
To: Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L
Subject: Backuppool tape utilitzation
Date: Thursday, March 14, 1996 2:19PM

        We're running ADSM/MVS v1 r1 level 0.14/1.14.   I have found, quite
accidentally, that for certain clients, (namely novell and large unix
ones) I had a lot of tapes in the pool for the same client, that were
less than full with a status of 'filling' (we use collocation).    To
verify this, I came up with a series of admin macros to feed some
mainframe batch jobs and found that some clients had as many as 10-15
tapes dedicated to their backup data with sometimes with very little
data on them!
         I called IBM support and one analyst suggested to use a DIRMC
option
in the options file pointing to a management class that would give the
directories a longer retention than the files themselves.  After using
the DIRMC option, I saw no appreciable decrease in the amount of tapes
not being filled.
        Needless to say, now my admin macros and batch jobs along with a
bunch
of MOVE DATA processes (as a consolidation measure) are a part of my
everyday monitoring and maintenance of ADSM to keep the number of tapes
being used from going through the roof.   Has anyone experienced this
problem to some degree.

                                        Larry Abbinante